Input your city and state 2
Hair Transplant - FAQ
What is hair transplant surgery?
A hair transplant is a surgical process of relocating the patient's existing hair to thinning or balding regions.
What are the benefits of hair transplant surgery?
Because the donor hair is transplanted from areas not susceptible to balding , the results last a lifetime .
A hair transplant has proven effective in replenishing lost hair for men and women, concealing scars caused by surgery and injury and covering skin blemishes from disease.
The technique has shown an even greater success rate than common hair growth drugs currently on the market. While some drugs promote hair growth, they can't return all the hair. In some cases, hair growth drugs can be used in conjunction with hair transplant surgery .
Would I be a good candidate for hair transplant surgery?
An ideal candidate for a hair transplant is a healthy man or woman with realistic goals in combating hair loss . The potential hair transplant recipient should also have healthy hair growth in possible donor areas.
A pre-existing medical condition does not automatically eliminate candidacy, but should be mentioned during consultation.
What can I expect during the hair transplant procedure?
In the procedure, minute sections of skin-bearing hair known as “grafts” are removed from areas of the body where they're found in abundance – such as the chest or back of the scalp – and redistributed to areas in need. Several hundred small grafts containing between one to seven hairs are transferred to bare areas creating a natural replacement with the patient's own hair.
A numbing agent will be injected into the donor area for comfort. The grafts will then be removed and placed and the wounds sutured, cleaned and bandaged. The entire hair transplant procedure normally takes a full day – with patients arriving in the morning and leaving by early evening.
How long does it take to recover from hair transplant surgery?
In a day, the bandages will be removed during a follow-up visit. By the first week the sutures should be completely healed and the grafts naturally in place.
To achieve desired results, more hair transplant procedures may be necessary with a buffer of a few months between sessions to allow for healing.
Are there complications or risks for a hair transplant?
Very few risks accompany a hair transplant. Infection is rare and easily avoidable if the post-operation instructions are followed and can be treated with antibiotics if it does occur. Scaring is inevitable, but usually the surgery leaves only virtually invisible marks .
What are the average costs of hair transplant surgery?
Hair transplant costs vary depending on the region in which one lives. During a session in which the average 500 to 2000 grafts are used, the price for the procedure can range between $1,500 and $20,000 .
However, in addition to the hair transplant procedure itself, other charges exist. The cost of an operating room, supplies, laboratory and X-ray studies and an anesthesiologist if the patient choices to be asleep are added expenses and will be discussed during consultation.
Where to find a hair transplant surgeon?
If you are interested in hair transplantation, it is important to set-up a confidential consultation with a board certified hair transplant surgeon who can evaluate your potential candidacy and customize your treatment. Contact us to locate an experienced board certified hair transplant surgeon near you.
The "gummy bear implant" has all the advantages of the traditional silicone implant and more.
- Eliminates the two biggest problems of traditional silicone implants: rupture and leakage.
- Due to tighter molecular bonds in the silicone, cohesive gel is semi-solid. If the silicone rubber shell of one of these implants is cut or punctured, it maintains its shape and does not leak. Cutting into a cohesive gel implant is a little like cutting into a "gummy bear," hence it's name.
- The semi-solid gel implants also feel softer and more natural than saline implants and are also less likely to wrinkle.
- It is the first, truly "shape stable" saline breast augmentation alternative implant for more natural augmentations, especially for small breasts. Unlike liquid-filled implants such as saline and liquid silicone, a high-strength cohesive gel implant maintains its shape and upright position, which decreases the incidence of the implant shell folding and the development of rippling.
- In Europe, this "gummy bear" implant has been used for years, and the use of its saline counterpart is almost non-existent. But with the stigma that has attached itself to any concept of a silicone implant in this country, it is difficult to reverse tradition, even when clinical information points to a safer and better alternative.